For today’s article, let’s stray away from the more ‘serious’ stuff. Remember that Secret Cow Level of Diablo 2, the one with the bipedal cattle with polearms? Diablo 3 also has a similar Easter egg level with the Whimsyshire, a.k.a. the Pony Level, and yes, it’s going to be loads of twisted fun! Find out more about the Whimsyshire and how to get there when you buy D3 account!
Welcome to the Whimsyshire, Diablo 3 Account Holders!
Just like the Secret Cow Level, the Whimsyshire is just as weird and odd as what it’s called. The level is crawling with enemy monsters in the form of Smiling Sunflowers, Unicorns, and Teddy Bears created in a style different from the rest of the game, mirroring child’s painting, but retaining the usual in-game blood and gore. Rather than the normal world’s objects, chest, health globes, etc., it has toys, happy-looking clouds, and all things cute and sweet—which we all know is really anything but. Nonetheless, the rewards you can reap while playing in this level is sure to attract D3 account holders.
Crafting the Staff of Herding for Diablo 3 Account Holders
You’ll only gain entry to the Whimsyshire if you have the STAFF OF HERDING on your D3 account. Note that all the items needed to create the Staff of Herding is account-bound; ergo, they cannot be collected from other players. Here are the items you must first have and where to acquire them:
- BLACK MUSHROOM – A lot of players miss this since it appears so early. It spawns on the first level of the Tristram Cathedral in Act 1.
- LEORIC’S SHINBONE – It’s located randomly in the fireplace in Leoric’s Manor in Act 1.
- LIQUID RAINBOW (PC) – You can find this in a Mysterious Cave within Dahlgur Oasis. The cave is opened by Zaven the Alchemist after he has been saved from a pack of Deathly Haunts in Act 2. You can obtain the item from a Mysterious Chest, though neither Zaven nor the chest are guaranteed to appear.
- WIRT’S BELL – Look for Squirt the Peddler in the Hidden Camp in Act 2. It’s sold for 100,000 gold (25,000 on the console version).
- GIBBERING GEMSTONE – It’s dropped by Chiltara in Level 2 of the Caverns of Frost in Act 3.
- PLAN: STAFF OF HERDING – Izual will randomly drop this in Act 4.
For Xbox 360, PS3, and Xbox One Diablo 3 account holders, only the Black Mushroom, Wirt’s Bell, Gibbering Gemstone, and the Plan are required to craft the Staff of Herding. Once you have acquired all items, teach Haedrig how to build the Staff. The recipe includes everything mentioned previously, plus a one-time cost of 50,000 gold (5,000 on console). At this point though, you probably already have that amount, so this shouldn’t be a problem.
Entering the Whimsyshire for Diablo 3 Account Holders
Put the Staff of Herding in your inventory. Note that the staff is permanent and it is not consumed; in fact, you can replay the Whimsyshire level as many times as you like. To get to Whimsyshire, take the Old Ruins waypoint and head back northwest towards Cain’s house. On the Old Tristram Road hugging the south wall, you will see a rainbow colored rift and there should be a Skeletal Corpse of a cow and a rift in one of the crevices in the ground. The Ghost of the Cow King will appear with a quest indicator above his head shortly. Click on the rift to enter Whimsyshire on your D3 account.